Diploma Mills; How to Recognize, Avoid Them
Sell degrees without requiring true academic achievement.
In other words: Worthless degrees.
Diploma Mills are highly profitable.
$200 Million: Estimated amount that diploma mills rake in annually
500: Estimated number of Ph.D. degrees awarded by Diploma Mills monthly
400: Estimated number of Diploma Mills
300: Number of websites run by Diploma Mills
98: number of fake accreditation agencies operating in U.S. today.
Preying on the Innocent: Why having a degree matters?
Bachelor Degree holders earn 85 % more than those with “just” high school diploma
Master’s and Ph.D.’s earn 45 % more than having a B.S. (or B.A.)
Protect Yourself: 10 Warning Signs:
1. The University is not accredited
Be wary of aggressive cold-calls, spam, using jargon:
2. No studies, no exams, no interaction
3. Admission based on having a Visa or MasterCard
4. Degree based on work experience and faxed resume
[No valid online university in U.S. will award a graduate degree (master’s or doctorate) based solely on a review of work, life or career experience.]
5. Instant degree—within 30 days of application, regardless of your status upon entry
6. Promised a degree in exchange for a lump sum — typically $399-$2,000 for an undergraduate degree and up to $3,000 for a graduate degree. [Universities do not commonly charge flat fees.]
7. Multiple complaints on file.
8. Your online “counselor” assures you that international online universities can’t be accredited in the U.S by CHEA-recognized agencies. [This is a lie.]
9. School’s website lists no faculty or lists faculty who have attended schools accredited by bogus agencies
10. The university offers online degrees to U.S. citizens [but is located in a foreign country]
Top 10 U.S. Locations by State for Diploma Mills
• California (134)
• Hawaii (94)
• Washington (87)
• Florida (57)
• Texas (53)
• New York (44)
• Louisiana (39)
• (tie) Illinois (29)
• (tie) Nevada (29)
• Arizona (28)
What Is The Difference Between Information Technology and Computer Science?The fields of information technology (IT) and computer science (CS) overlap in many ways. Both require…
Historically, it’s been said that college graduates earn larger incomes than high school graduates, but how much more? If you plan to embark on…
Guide for The Best Online Business Administration Degrees and ProgramsBusiness consistently ranks as one of the most popular degree choices. Colleges and universities across the…