10 Scholarships You’ve Never Heard OfHave you ever wondered if it was possible to get a scholarship for wearing duck tape to prom, not drinking or using drugs, or for bowling? Have you ever considered that wanting to be a journalist or a filmmaker could land you a really nice scholarship? Well, there’s good news: you absolutely can!
1. The Eileen J. Garrett ScholarshipDon’t let the name fool you: this is a great scholarship for students interested in parapsychology, the study of mental phenomena that has yet to be explained by modern science. Students who are pursuing an academic path in this subject could win $3000 towards their studies.
2. The David Letterman ScholarshipEveryone remembers the dear-departed David Letterman from late-night tv, right? Well, Ball State University, Letterman’s alma mater, has created a scholarship to honor him. It’s open to juniors in college that are majoring in telecommunications. The amount of the scholarship varies, but it’s up to you how much you could win.
3. The National Potato Council ScholarshipI bet you didn’t know that there was such a thing as a National Potato Council, did you? Well, this scholarship was created by the NPC to award $10,000 to a graduate student that is currently researching ways to benefit the potato industry in America.
4. The Kor Memorial ScholarshipThe Klingon Language Foundation is real, but we’re sure you knew that. The foundation delivers a $500 scholarship to the student who is best able to utilize the Star Trek language of Klingon in a new and creative way.
5. Annual Create-A-Greeting-Card $10,000 Scholarship ContestThis is a scholarship from The Gallery Collection that awards $10,000 annually. All you have to do is design the front of a greeting card that can be used for business and personal use. How easy is that?
6. Jif Most Creative Sandwich ContestWhile it’s called a contest, it’s really a $25,000 scholarship to help send students like you to college. Create the most creative sandwich using Jif and pay for the first year of your college education. Start practicing your sandwich skills.
7. The Wear Duck Tape to Prom ScholarshipWe know you’ve seen the viral pictures of duck tape prom dresses, but did you know that ShurTech Brands, the makers of Duck Tape, will give you $5,000 if you come up with the best prom outfit? Ruining a good dress or suit doesn’t seem so bad now, does it?
8. C.A.T.S. Tall Club Scholarship ProgramAre you tall? If you are, and you live in the Phoenix, Arizona, area, you could win $250. Female winners must be at least 5’10” and male winners must be at least 6’2”. Your height is the only requirement.
9. Nordstrom Scholarship ProgramThis is one time your parents will be happy you have a loyalty card. The store awards 80 scholarships a year to students with a Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack card, have done volunteer service, and have at least a 2.7 GPA.
10. The Vegetarian Resource Group ScholarshipsThis group gives out two scholarships annually, each worth $5,000, to students who promote and practice a vegetarian lifestyle and demonstrate compassion towards animal causes.
Online College Resources
Helping you prepare and gain the most out of your educational experience.