The Rising Cost of College
79: percentage growth of college tuition between August 2003 and August 2013
2X: that’s twice as costs for medical care.
And 3X: the as the overall Consumer Price Index during that same period.
Overall, the cost of college has gone up over 500% since 1982.
Put in perspective:
If you spent $10,000 for a college education in 1982,
And had the increase in college tuition gone at the same rate as inflation:
That same year of college education would cost $24,471.61 today.
Instead, that year of college education actually costs over $50,000 today.
From 1984-1985 to 2014-2015 the average published Tuition and Fees for:
• Private 4-year institutions – up 146% (From $12,716* to $31,231)
• Public 2-year colleges – up 150% (From $1,337* to $3,347)
• In-state students at public 4-year institutions – up 225% (from $2,810* to $9,139)
*1984 prices adjusted to 2014 dollars
Why Are College Costs Rising?
• Appropriations are money set aside by governments to be used for a specific purpose. As state and local governments cut appropriations to colleges, tuition costs rise to make up the difference
• Institutional Subsidies are proportion of costs paid for from institutional sources. They typically come from state and local appropriations; at private institutions they come from private gifts, investment returns, or endowment income. During recessions, subsidies dry up.
5 most expensive educations, 2012-2013
1.Sarah Lawrence College, New York: $61,236
2.New York University, New York: $59,837
3.Harvey Mudd College, California: $58,913
4.Columbia University, New York: $58,742
5.Wesleyan University, Connecticut: $58,202
What Is The Difference Between Information Technology and Computer Science?The fields of information technology (IT) and computer science (CS) overlap in many ways. Both require…
Historically, it’s been said that college graduates earn larger incomes than high school graduates, but how much more? If you plan to embark on…
Guide for The Best Online Business Administration Degrees and ProgramsBusiness consistently ranks as one of the most popular degree choices. Colleges and universities across the…