The Rising Cost of College
79: percentage growth of college tuition between August 2003 and August 2013
2X: that’s twice as costs for medical care.
And 3X: the as the overall Consumer Price Index during that same period.
Overall, the cost of college has gone up over 500% since 1982.
Put in perspective:
If you spent $10,000 for a college education in 1982,
And had the increase in college tuition gone at the same rate as inflation:
That same year of college education would cost $24,471.61 today.
Instead, that year of college education actually costs over $50,000 today.
From 1984-1985 to 2014-2015 the average published Tuition and Fees for:
• Private 4-year institutions – up 146% (From $12,716* to $31,231)
• Public 2-year colleges – up 150% (From $1,337* to $3,347)
• In-state students at public 4-year institutions – up 225% (from $2,810* to $9,139)
*1984 prices adjusted to 2014 dollars
Why Are College Costs Rising?
• Appropriations are money set aside by governments to be used for a specific purpose. As state and local governments cut appropriations to colleges, tuition costs rise to make up the difference
• Institutional Subsidies are proportion of costs paid for from institutional sources. They typically come from state and local appropriations; at private institutions they come from private gifts, investment returns, or endowment income. During recessions, subsidies dry up.
5 most expensive educations, 2012-2013
1.Sarah Lawrence College, New York: $61,236
2.New York University, New York: $59,837
3.Harvey Mudd College, California: $58,913
4.Columbia University, New York: $58,742
5.Wesleyan University, Connecticut: $58,202
Why Get a Master’s Degree in Education? Online masters degrees in education unlock higher earning potential and career advancement for educators. According to PayScale, a master’s degree in education leads to an average annual salary increase of $5,000 compared to a bachelor’s degree in the field. Similarly, administrative roles that require a master’s degree offer […]
Earning an online business degree can lead to a variety of new career opportunities. Here, we list this year's most affordable online business degree programs.
Mechanical engineers design items such as car parts and electrical wiring. These online engineering degrees can give you the tools to thrive in this industry.