Our top-ranked program is offered by Washington’s Bellevue College. Bellevue’s associate’s degree program provides educational and clinical experience that prepares students to successfully gain employment and national certification as a diagnostic medical sonographer. The Associate of Arts degree in Diagnostic Ultrasound provides training in ultrasound patient services and related diagnostic techniques, with options in the following specialty tracks: General (Abdomen & OB/GYN), Vascular Technology, and Echocardiography. Of the programs we evaluated, Bellevue stands out due to its high graduation rate as well as a 100% certification and job placement rate.
Regardless of which specialty you choose, at the end of the two year program consisting of 112 quarter credits, you will have gained the following skills and abilities:
- Function as an entry-level sonographer, acquiring diagnostic ultrasound images of the patient’s anatomy to aid the physician in the diagnosis of various pathological conditions
- Act in the best interests of the patient and the institution through the prudent use of safety measures, techniques and equipment to prevent harm to patient, facility or oneself
- Act within the Ultrasonography Scope of Practice as outlined by the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in the technical performance of medical imaging procedures
- Assimilate pertinent clinical information, ultrasound findings and knowledge of normal and abnormal conditions into a cohesive and complete ultrasound examination for interpreting physicians
- Communicate effectively with patients, family members, hospital staff, and the general public, and demonstrate professionalism in all actions and communications
The sonography program operates with a selective admissions program that includes procedures and requirements that differ from other Bellevue degrees. Check the program website carefully for full details on what you’ll need to apply.
In addition to the associate’s degree programs, Bellevue also offers an optional Breast Ultrasound certificate, for students wishing to expand their job skills to include breast ultrasound scanning. Satisfactory completion of the program courses partially fulfills the eligibility requirements for the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography certification examination in breast ultrasound. Bellevue’s programs in sonography have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs since 1987. Bellevue College is also regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.